Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Baby Fish!!!!

We have about 20 baby fish! We never saw the jewel cichlids lay eggs, but on Saturday D saw about 20 babies swimming around. They are tiny. We can't believe that they are still alive. Cichlids are usually very aggressive. We are afraid that they are just too small for the other cichlids to see and that's why they haven't eaten them. They may be in danger as they get bigger. But, maybe if there's a bunch of them that live, no one will establish dominance and they'll all get along! I hope they all make it, but even 2 or 3 would be nice. We'll see! They tend to stay in the same corner of the tank and their parents stay with them. We were so excited to see they had mated though. The jewel is the only type we have more than one of. I remember a couple of weeks ago I told D that the fish were acting strange. I guess now we know why. We had some green terrors lay eggs on a rock once, but the next day they were all gone. I guess the placo had eaten them! Somehow these have made it so far!

2 comments:

Hmachine said...

oooh, the kids would LOVE that. Can R and A see them??? how fun!

Shiloh said...

A and R probably can't see them. They are pretty small and a very light color.